Aleph J and Pass Korg B1

AVForums

Help Support AVForums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolakidd

AVForums Veteran
AV Forums Supporter
Reaction score
This is one I started a while back. I didn't post because I was chasing down RFI in the pre-amp. It was exciting. I did something complicated with the selector wiring, which acted as an antenna. This system is in my office, which has a lot of tech, so it is damn noisy.

I wanted to build a Class-A amp and have a near-field system for my office; the combination is overkill. I also wanted to make some Pass stuff.

IMG_0424.jpeg

IMG_1319.jpeg

The internals are standard fair, an Aleph J and a Pass Korg B1 buffer.

IMG_0417 2.jpeg

IMG_1317.jpeg

The B1 buffer started life with an SMPS, which was fine; the move to linear PSU delivered a marginal increase. I thought the SMPS was the cause of the RFI-type noise... it wasn't.

With the design of the amps, I was going for something that reflected the new Marantz design direction. I had a couple of ideas but then went on my path. On a whim, I asked the guys at Eco-Laser to sandblast the aluminium fronts for me, which resulted in an almost stone-like appearance. It is impractical for a complete chassis, but as a feature, it does add something.

IMG_1321.jpeg

The boxes on either side of the Torroid are a soft start and a Sonoff. I have started adding Sonoffs to all my equipment to control the remote startup and phased switch on and off.

IMG_1107 2.jpeg

The knobs are 3D printed, with the fuzzy skin feature turned on. It gives them a unique look.

IMG_1320.jpeg

The B1 Buffer + Aleph J are probably character overkill regarding the audio signature, but I am enjoying the sound... I like a bit of character.

I will build Wayne's Burning Amp Linestage to check my sanity.

Details
The whole design is done in Fusion 360. The way they have allowed the usage of their software to the maker community is both generous and visionary.
3D Printing is managed with Cura and Ender 3 Plus. PLA+ for the outside parts, ABS for the internals.
Chassis are all done by Eco-Laser.

Attachments

• IMG_0417 2.jpeg
    IMG_0417 2.jpeg
    160.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts